LOOK WHOS HERE!!!!

HARFORD SCHOOL FOR GIRLS (HSG), MOYAMBA – SIERRA LEONE

BRIEF HISTORY


HISTORY -The beginning of this great institution, which pioneered in the field of education of girls in the provinces, actually had its origins as the Mary Sowers Home for Girls at Rotifunk in 1887.  The Home was sponsored by the Women’s Missionary Association of the United Brethen Church (UBC) Mission, in America.

During the ‘1898 HUT TAX UPRISING’, the buildings were destroyed, the missionaries
were killed, and the 17 pupils left, never to be seen or heard of again.  In 1900, Madam Yoko Gulama, the Paramount Chief of the Kayamba Chiefdom, responded to a request by the UBC, and gave 11 acres of land to the Mission, relocate the school for girls at Moyamba. 
The new school opened its doors in August 1900.  The first eight girls were housed in a
mud hut, built by Rev and Mrs EA King, in whose memory the famous King Memorial 
United Methodist Church in Freetown was named.

The main core (or heart) of Harford School in the early years of the foundation of the school was to train Christian home makers who will deviate from primitive and superstitious beliefs, as illustrated in the school song.  The Bible was the core subject in the teaching of the Christian beliefs at the school.

By 1921, the school became very famous, especially in what was then the protectorate, hinterland of Sierra Leone.  Noble men, especially chiefs sent their daughters to the school.  ; As a result of the school’s popularity,  and the increased number of pupils, the School Authorities, and the Sierra Leone Government, decided to build a main concrete building to house the 100 pupils. The building was erected by Ref DB Evans, and was completed by 1925. That same year, the school was re-na med HARFORD in honour of the dynamic and longest serving president of the ‘WOMEN’S MISSIONARIES ASSOCIATION’ - Mrs Lilian Resler Harford who worked tirelessly for the existence of this great institution.

In 1952, the Government of Sierra Leone under the Colonial Development Welfare Scheme, accepted proposal by the Home Board Division of World Mission in America, an raised the standard of the school to full Secondary status.

Harford School has always remained faithful to her core-values --Administering the Christian faith to the pupils, and home makers.  However, in the twenty first century, Harford School has accepted the concept of modern day multi faiths, and indeed, pupils are allowed to practice their faiths, although all pupils at the school, have to embrace Christian faith.
Harford school has risen to the challenges of modern days concepts.  In modern times, Harfordians are playing their part in the development of our fatherland. Harfordians are engaged in the fields of Clergy, Medicines, Nursing, Teachers, Politicians, Civil Servants,
and some have aspired to greater things, to make our country Harford School and the Missionaries who started this Institution, proud of their achievements.

From 1990 to 200 Sierra Leone was in the grip of the worst moments in her history, due to the rebel incursion.  Harford School had to temporarily relocate the school for the Circular Road in Freetown, for the safety of the pupils and staff.

Today, Harford has returned to Moyamba, and the school remains even more popular, with pupils and more and more parents, from all over the country, sending their children to the school.  There are now over 700 pupils at the school.

We are internally grateful to the earlier pioneers of girls education in Sierra Leone.  But for their intervention, many girls would never be educated.  The early pioneers, and indeed the missionaries, who continue to promote girls’ education especially in the hinterland, -  Miss Emma Rife, Miss Elizabeth Brenemar, Miss Naiomi Wilson, Miss June Hartranft- to whose memory the June Hartranft primary school, which is the feeder school to Harford School is named.

Our gratitude also goes to other missionaries – Miss Florence Barnhart, Miss Elaine Gasser, Miss Esbenshade, Miss Ruth Harding, Miss Ethel Brooks, Miss Barbit, Miss Miriam Faust, Rev and Mrs Carl Ayers, Miss Gwyneth Derbyshire, the only British Missionary – and Miss V Pickarts, the last and longest serving missionary at the school. Miss Pickarts spent 40 years teaching at the school.  That milestone was recognised by the people of Sierra Leone, when the then President of the country President Momoh, awarded her the Honour of Rokel in 1990 for her long service in the field of Education to the people of Sierra Leone.

Harford School is going from strength to strength.  Thanks to the United Methodist Church, The Government of Sierra Leone, Harford Old Girls Associations, both at home and abroad.  Here in the United Kingdom, Harfordians have risen to the challenge.  In 1979 Mrs Laura Short, (nee Wilson), founded the Harford Ex-Pupils’ Association which h as raised thousands of pounds for the school for the purchase of vital equipments needed in this modern age for the school to function, and help in maintaining the fabric of the school. 
Our gratitude also goes to friends and families of the school, who have given financial support.  Indeed we the ‘children’ of Harford, give our deep appreciation to al who have in diverse ways made Harford School one of the greatest Institutions, in the field of education
in West Africa.  Adhering to our challenge- LOOK WHO IS HERE!!!

HARFORD SCHOOL HIGHLIGHTS!!!!!
1900 First eight boarders accepted at the Home for girls at Moyamba.
1918 In the first attempt to present candidates for the Government Elementary Seven out of nine passed.
1921 The Home for Girls is renamed Harford School for Girls. 1926 Laura Dove became first female Head Teacher at Harford School.
1928 Fitzjohn and Zainabu Deen, became the first students in the school to Complete a 2-year secondary course.
1935 Amelia Caulker became first female chief social Development Officer in Sierra Leone. 1938 Ella Gulama, first Harfordian to enter Wilberforce Teacher Training College and First African female supervisor of infant schools, first woman Parliamentarian, and female Minister of State in Sierra Leone.
1939 Rebecca Chator, first Harfordian to receive a Teacher’s Certificate from Wilberforce Teacher Training College.
1942 First group of students to take the Lower Domestic Science Examination Passed.
1942 Maud Stuart became the first Harfordian to pass the junior Cambridge Certificate.
1946 In the first attempt at the Junior Cambridge Examination, Dulcie Stevens and Sara Gilpin passed.
1948 Sara Gilpin, first Harfordian to receive the Teacher’s Certificate from Fourah 20Bay College.
1950 Mrs Elizabeth Deen Hatib appointed as first African Matron in charge of the Boarding home.
1950 The Harford Choir won the cup in the Freetown Singing Competition on the First attempt.
1953 Elsie-Mae Myers passed the senior Cambridge Examination.
1955 All eight candidates who attempted the senior Cambridge Examination were Successful
1961 Mamie Aruna, first Harfordian to be awarded a Grade 1 pass.
1962 Seinya E Harlestone, first Harfordian female Agriculturist in Sierra Leone
1965 Dr William Fitzjohn, first African (male) Principal of the school.
1965 Dr William Fitzjohn, first African (male) Principal of the school.
1974 Elsie-Mae Kallon, first Harfordian to serve as Principal of the school.
1976 Mrs Shirley Gbujama first Harfordian appointed as Sierra Leone’s first female &nbs p; Ambassador.
1979 Mrs L aura Short Founded the Harford Ex-Pupils’ Association in the UK, and Still going strong.
1985 Miss V Pickarts, Harford’s longest-serving missionary retires after 40 years.
1995 Harford School relocates to Freetown when rebels invaded Moyamba.
1996 Inauguration of the Harford School brass band, donated by HEPA, UK. 0A
2000 Harford celebrates its Centenary Anniversary.
2006 Harford Ex-pupil’s Association (HEPA) donated 75 KVA generator
to the School.
2006 Harford named the best behaved school in Sierra Leone.

Presented by
Mrs Hannah Kajue
.